What Do I Need For My First Day Of Work?
The Union Carpenters Training and Your Employer Will Require the Following Tools:
ALL CARPENTER APPRENTICES
BASIC REQUIRED PPE/TOOL LIST
The following list of Personal protective equipment must be used to be on the jobsite. If you are missing any of the items, you will most likely be sent home.
Mandatory Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to Attend Any Training.
- Hard-soled Work Boots (Steel-toed Athletic shoes NOT allowed)
- Long White Carpenter Pants for Carpenter Apprentice/Blue Bibs for Millwright Apprentice
- Long Sleeve or Elbow Length Short-Sleeved Shirt
- Hard Hat
- Clear Safety Glasses
Note: Per Safety Guidelines: pants and shirts (no holes and rips in them) and shorts are never allowed.
All Apprentices are required to provide all tools on this basic list.
Apprentices will be sent home if, any tool on the list below is not in your possession at tool check time. Apprentice could be placed inactive, required to obtain a new letter of intent after the complete tool list is verified by CJAP administration, then repeat and successfully pass the entire week before unit credit is awarded.
You Need Tools To Work!
Please do your best to have the following list of tools for your first day of work. Items in red can be picked up after you get your first paycheck but will be needed before you attend your first school class.
Basic New Apprentice Required Tool List
- Straight Claw (Residential Framers/Concrete/Interior Systems/Scaffold)
- 25’ tape measure
- Utility knife, retractable blade recommended (safety)
- Chalk box with chalk (speed reel recommended)
- Nail puller (cat’s paw Residential) and/or flat bar/pry bar (Interior Systems/Concrete)
- Metal speed square
- Level (Minimum 24”)
- Aviation Snips (yellow handled= straight-cut) (red handled= left-cut) (green handled= right-cut)
- 8” up to 12” Crescent wrench (12” for Millwright Apprentice/Concrete)
- Wood chisel 1”
- Leather or Canvas Tool Pouches
NOTE: EVERY EFFORT MUST BE MADE TO BUY TOOLS MADE IN THE U.S.A.!!! SAVE THE RECEIPTS FOR ALL OF YOUR TOOLS!!!